President Bola Tinubu has approved the renaming of the Port-Harcourt International Airport after former Premier of the old Western Region, Chief Obafemi Awolowo.
The Maiduguri Airport has been renamed Muhammadu Buhari Airport.
The president also renamed the newly constructed Ebonyi State Airport after the former President of the 8th Nigerian Senate, the late Dr Chuba Wilberforce Okadigbo.
Twelve other airports were renamed after several Nigerians, according to a memo from by the Federal Ministry of Aviation dated June 1, 2023, and signed by Mrs Joke Olatunji for the Director of Airport Operations.
Below is the full list:
- Maiduguri Airport – Gen. Mumammadu Buhari
- Benin Airport – Oba Akenzua II
- Dutse Airport – Muhammad Nuhu Sanusi
- Ebonyi Airport – Chuba Wilberforce Okadigbo
- Gombe Airport – Brigadier Zakari Maimalari
- Ibadan Airport – Samuel Ladoke Akintola
- Ilorin Airport – Gen. Tunde Idiagbon
- Kaduna Airport – Hassan Usman Katsina
- Akure Airport – Olumuyiwa Bernard Aliu
- Makurdi Airport – Joseph Sarwuan Tarka
- Minna Airpor – Mallam Abubakar Imam
- Nassarawa Airport – Sheikh Usman Dan Fodio
- Osubi Airport – Alfred Diete Spiff
- Port Harcourt Airport – Obafemi Jeremiah Awolowo
- Yola Airport – Lamido Aliyu Mustapha