Security Scare as Suspected Gunmen Attack Adeleke’s Convoy in Osogbo
Gunmen suspected to be assassins Wednesday attacked the Osun State capital, Osogbo, and opened fire on the convoy of the state Governor, Ademola Adeleke.
It was gathered that the thugs attacked the governor shortly after he visited the palace of the Ataoja of Osogbo, Oba Jimoh Oyetunji, and engaged the governor’s security personnel in an exchange of gunfire.
The shooting, which lasted for some 12 to 15 minutes, happened shortly after Adeleke left the palace hall where he had met with the monarch.
The governor had visited the Ataoja after his departure from the Osun State headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Osogbo where he got his Certificate of Return after his re-election.
An eyewitness who spoke to the platform said Adeleke and his entourage were received by Oyetunji where the governor was said to have presented his Certificate of Return to the monarch.
The eyewitness said trouble began as the meeting was winding up after the monarch had offered prayers.
She said Adeleke had already exited the hall via an exit reserved for the monarch and his wives when the shooting started.
“He was already in the bus that brought him and his close aides to the palace when we started hearing heavy gunshots,” she said. The attackers had come in an unregistered Sienna space bus through the Ita Olokan area of Osogbo.
Read Also: NATO Fighter Jet Downs Drone After Romanian Airspace Breach
“The shooting lasted about 12 to 15 minutes before the governor’s convoy finally left the palace. The governor’s security men and these hoodlums exchanged gun shots. Those hoodlums later ran from the scene.”
A trader close to the palace who identified himself as Munirat said the assailants might have heard of Adeleke’s visit and waited for his arrival.
“We suspected that those hoodlums heard about Adeleke’s visit and had been waiting for him,” she said. They arrived in a Sienna space bus. They even broke the main gate to the palace. They fired at the main gate of the palace but were driven back by the guards.
“We all ran away and left our wares. They also engaged the governor around the Osogbo Central Mosque before they took to their heels toward Ita Olokan on the Osogbo-Ilesa Road.”
The incident created panic in the area as traders and other residents were said to have fled their businesses and ran for safety during the shooting.
Kolapo Alimi, the Osun State Commissioner for Information and Public Enlightenment, confirmed the attack when contacted.
“Thugs, and the governor’s security pushed them back. They attacked the governor’s convoy at the palace of Ataoja. “No casualty,” he stated.
